- “A zebra or a painted horse? Are hospital PPPs infrastructure partnerships with stripes or a separate species?” (with D Montagu). World Hospitals and Health Services, 2012
- Where Do Poor Women in Developing Countries Give Birth? A Multi-Country Analysis of Demographic and Health Survey Data” (with D Montagu, G Yamey, A Visconti and J Yoong). PloS One February, 2011.
- “Can Public Private Partnerships Raise Public Hospital Performance in Developing Countries?: Lessons from Brazil” (with G La Forgia), Health Affairs. June, 2009.
- “Buying Results: A Review of Developing Countries’ Experience of Contracting for Health Service Delivery” (with B Loevinsohn), The Lancet. 366. August 2005.
- “Can Developing Countries further Improve Child Health Outcomes without Engaging the Private Sector?”(with H Axelson and F Bustreo), Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 81, 2003.
- “The Economics of Hospital Reform: From Hierarchical to Market-based Incentives,” World Hospitals and Health Services, Vol. 39, 2003.
- “Make or Buy Decision in the Production of Health Care Goods and Services: New Insights from Institutional Economics and Organization Theory” Bulletin of the World Health Organization. (with A Preker and P Travis). Vol. 78, 2000.
Volumes and edited volumes
- Private Patients: Why Health Aid Fails to Reach So Many, and What We Can Do about It” Brookings-Center for Global Development Press. Washington DC. Forthcoming. 2016.
- Private Participation in Health Services (with A Preker), World Bank, 2003.
- Innovations in Health Service Delivery: The Corporatization of Public Hospitals. (with A Preker), World Bank, 2003.
Chapters and other contributions
- Linking Organizational Structure to the External Environment: Experiences from Hospital Reform in Transition Economies. In M McKee and J Healy, Hospitals in a Changing Europe. (with M Jakab and A Preker). Buckingham: Open University Press, 2002.
- Buying Results: Contracting for Primary Health Care Delivery. Chapter 11, in A. Preker (Ed.), Spending Wisely (with B Loevinsohn). World Bank. 2005.
- Role of the Private Sector in Healthcare Provision, Encyclopedia of Public Health. (with D Montagu). Elsevier, London. 2008.
- Institutions Matter. Chapter 16 in A. Preker et al (Eds.) Scaling Up Affordable Health Insurance: Staying the Course. (with A. Preker, E. Velenyi, Melitta Jakab, Caroline Yi and Yohana Dukhan). World Bank, 2013.
- Partnerships with the Private Sector in Health: What the International Community Can Do to Strengthen Health Systems in Developing Countries. Final Report of the Private Sector Advisory Facility Working Group. Center for Global Development, 2009.